Friday, January 30, 2009

a BLACK world

I am in a black world and I know that kind of sounds stupid but I could imagine being a black American and coming to Africa for the first time. Everyone is BLACK!
The law, the advertisements, the products, the society, the grocery store (well actually here the grocery stores are Lebanese :)it is all BLACK and it is just as every other place.
People go to work, cook food, raise children and die.

The streets are dirty like those in Cambodia, but the children are happy like those in Thailand.
The government is corruptible like that in Taiwan, and the fruit is as natural and fresh as Hawaii.
The men are assholes like EVERY country in the world, but generally the people are among the friendliest I've ever met.
A land where women carry their supplies on the top of their head and a baby on the back.
A land where it is virtually impossible to take three steps without treding on a piece of plastic.
West Africa- Just another place on Earth!!!


Yesterday I sat at a coffee shop drinking my Malta watching all the eclectic faces go by and I had a vision...I think one day there will be no more white people. I think humans will inevitable interbred and then we will no longer be able to use a physical characteristic to make such gaping generalizations, classifications and assumptions. Or perhaps humans will just choose something else to judge one another on.
Then there is my hesitation with all this intermingling.
My hesitation with that would be with any globalization concept-a centralized power, cultural domination (maybe popular?), economic monopolies. So I am at a dilemma-humans need to adapt to survive in a globalizing world, and in turn the globalized world is slowly killing us.
And on the other hand...diversity which is what makes this world so wonderful coming together as one, as HUMAN.

hmmm the saga continues....

When I was standing in line at the airport to exchange money, the guy standing behind me started up a conversation. He said how wonderful it would be if the world all used one currency, no more bad exchange rates, no more long ques to wait in, no more pockets full of useless coins after going through immigration (unless you donate to UNICEF:) I wanted to disagree right away with him, but I couldn't think of an argument. That is a problem I have, when I feel too strongly about things I forget why I feel like that in the first place. My arguments become emotion-based and I lose some rational processes....
Why is a global currency bad!?!?!?

Humans are truly the most amazing species, even we can see our own demise we continue on due course...Are we just too lazy to imagine a better world and way too stupid to ACTUALLY do something to make it better, or do we really think it is not possible.
I want to talk about a truly new world...one that you can't argue simply because it hasn't lived in before.

Damn it! Why are humans so difficult and blind!

I watched The Gods Must Be Crazy today and I found it quite lovely. The funny part is that humans can MAKE movies like that, write books like Animal Farm and can paint pictures like the Vitruvian Man but we cannot live in harmony with each other and our environment.


or will humans destroy ourselves first...it all depends on us I suppose!

1 comment:

jeffree said...

hey, not all men are assholes!..we do like our diversity don't we! Happy trails!